Grace Lee Boggs '35 once said:
“We urgently need to bring to our communities the limitless capacity to love, serve, and create for and with each other.”
As a Barnard community, we come together in moments of celebration and support each other during times of struggle and growth. Barnard Bold intends to recognize students and student organizations that embody the dedication to community that Grace Lee Boggs exemplifies.
This year's award categories showcase a range of causes for which students and organizations can be recognized for their approach, contributions, and impact. Barnard Bold Award Categories and Descriptions are as follows:
- Bold Award for Coalition Building
- Demonstrates outstanding and consistent dedication to coalition building on or off campus.
- Facilitates the bringing together of communities/groups with intentionality.
- Generates cross-collaboration project for the enrichment of educational outcomes or heightened sense of awareness and intersectionality of issues/causes.
- Bold Award for Dedication to Intersectional Feminism
- Contributes toward raising consciouness around gender identity and expression, gender equality, and women's issues on/off campus.
- Advocates for women's rights and gender equality on/off campus.
- Encourages and practices intersectional and inclusive feminism.
- Bold Award for Scholar Activism
- Conducts scholarly work that interrogates social justice principles.
- Introduces innovative approaches to dialogue and reflection.
- Connects theoretical frameworks to practice espousing social justice principles.
- Bold Award for Dedication to Community Care + Uplift
- Focuses on creating a more caring and healthy campus community.
- Demonstrates acts of resilience in face of adversity.
- Recognized for their work around community healing, self-care, and self-advocacy practices.
- Bold Award for Environmental Justice
- Conducts outstanding work toward identifying and addressing environmental problems that have a disproportionately adverse effect on marginalized communities.
- Contributes to a better understanding of environmental health problems.
- Encourages on/off campus communities to become involved in environmental justice causes.
- Bold Award for Visionary + Radical Leadership
- Demonstrates thoughtful and effective leadership.
- Does trailblazing work that has impacted both the Barnard community and beyond.
- Shows ingenuity and radical approach to addressing institutional and systematic issues affecting the on/off campus community.
- Shifts the paradigm and understanding of conventional leadership to one that serves the known needs of the community.
We are currently accepting nominations for the 2018 awardees. To submit a nomination, please visit www.tinyurl.com/BarnardBold18. Nominations will be accepted until Monday, February 19th @ 12PM.
Finally, save the date for the award ceremony which will take place on Thursday, March 29th. Registration will open in late February/early March.